Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Bigger Challenge

Someone once said, "Preach the Gospel at all times; when necessary, use words."    Another person said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."  What do these two quotes, by St. Francis of Assisi 1  and Mahatma Ghandi, respectively, have to do with writing?  Well, they speak to me of an important lesson:  to learn or teach something, it's best to first do the darn thing yourself, and then show it.  In my case, if I want to be a self-published author, it is best to actually do it.  Learn--and share--by doing.

Another inspiration came from Kim Lavine's Mommy Millionaire book.  She started her own business, became a success, and wrote down in exacting and engaging detail what happened to her and what she learned.  I have never quite seen a book like hers before, and though it is not about a writing-related business, I cannot recommend this book enough.

Because of her inspiration, and the quotes above, I decided to do the same for  . . .  da da dum . . . The Great Writing Experiment:  Self-Publishing an Ebook (for Better or Worse).  The very idea excites me--and scares the dickens out of me.  But why should that stop me if I really wanna do it?  Besides I think turning it into a blogged project is the very kick in the shorts (hate pants) that I need to get moving.

So today, I started the Project.  Tomorrow?  Hopefully, I don't chicken out ;-)  But we'll see what's what then.




=========
Footnotes:

1 Some people say that St. Francis didn't in fact say this or do this.  But at this point, I care more about the quote and its meaning than who said what.

(This blog post took me 35 minutes to create, from conception to posting) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment