Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Finding My Zeal as a Writer

To get back into the groove of things, I've been writing shorts. Why? For two reasons.

First, it's easier to start out small and build big. After all, isn't the Wii Fit always telling me I need at least 10 minutes of exercise for it to matter? If I start out with scheduling in 10 minutes and keep that routine for a week, then adding 5 minutes to it next week won't seem impossible. Before long, instead of wanting to do yoga but never seeming to find the time, I will be doing yoga half an hour a day. The same for writing. It's like I'm out of creative shape. Why try to run a marathon when you haven't been exercising in a long time?

Second, I was on Romans 12:9-13 yesterday as part of my personal Bible study regime. And I got the impression from my study book (if you are studying the Bible, I can't recommend William Barclay's The Daily Study Bible series enough) that having zeal in life is important. So, I got to thinking, how much better would it be to write what I am passionate about? My passions shift about so often, but some stay. I currently am enthralled with a certain topic that was prevalent during my writer's drought. Why not work with it?

So, put that all together, what am I working on? Well, that's mostly a secret. I will tell you it's a long series of novelettes/novellas. Once it is done, I have plans on posting it on the blog, all of it, before I omnibus it and put it up for sale online.

What does that mean about my other works? Well, I'm still going to work on them. In fact, there is a certain vampire novella that keeps niggling at the back of my mind. My main reason for not working on it was that the parts I have written and my notes are scattered across two notebooks. I need to type it all up, especially since the notes are getting tattered. Also once I get vampires on the mind, they are hard to pry off. So I imagine after that I'll start working on Walker's prequel, Harem, which deals with vampires, a lot. But right now these works are not my foremost focus, my new series is. And with that series, I'm looking forward to capturing my zeal down paper once more, piece by piece, until it is what it is meant to be.


(This blog post took 40 minutes to create, from conception to posting.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment